A general manager oversees all the restaurants sales functions as well as the day-to-day operations of the business. The general manager is responsible for effective planning, delegating, coordinating, staffing, organizing, and decision making to attain desirable profit making results for an organization. Communicates with ownership on all decisions and financial needs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Handling all staffing responsibilities, including hiring, training, scheduling, and terminating.
- Over sees purchasing of all food, supplies and use of food and beverages within required dates and with a minimum of waste. Performs walk throughs with Chef’s, approves all specials and assists with Back of the House systems.
- Held accountable for all financials and operations from a global perspective.
- Promoting cooperative effort, a team spirit, and good morale among employees
- Ensures all standards of service and policies and procedures of managers and associates are being met.
- Resolving complaints from customers in a polite, friendly manner
- Performing daily inspections and periodic audits to check safety of equipment and to ensure that food is cooked properly; addressing engineering problems involving the cost, installation, and maintenance of such equipment
- Participating in training about standardized policies and conferring weekly with owner management about restaurant operations and shares all information with staff in a timely matter.
- Approves all food and beverage invoices and also payroll records.
- Ensures staffing levels are accurate and all reviews are timely and documented.
- Maximizes all profit centers by effectively utilizing all management systems.
- Responding to customer and community interests to develop marketing and advertising
- Makes time for one on ones with managers and coach and counsels when needed.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities)
High school diploma, GED certificate, or demonstration of sufficient reading and math skills to read manuals and prepare computer reports as required; hospitality and restaurant management certification or college degree preferred
Previous restaurant experience required; previous General management experience preferred; successful completion of progressive business management training program helpful
Willingness to work evenings and weekends as required
Excellent customer service to treat patrons like family
Strong communication skills to train and motivate employees
Strong time management skills and accuracy to deal with a variety of duties and prepare reports according to schedule
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to stand the entire shift. The employee frequently is required to use hands or fingers, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; stoop; bend; shake, stir, and pour; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly exposed to sharp objects, slippery floors, smoke, steam, high temperatures, humidity, and extreme cold. The employee regularly comes into contact with water, sanitation solutions, meat products, poultry products, seafood, and produce items. The employee is frequently required to wash hands. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to high.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.